Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Meet the San Diego Mama Behind...


Last week I received several boxes of cookies from Nana's Cookie Company...a mama owned company here in San Diego. All of their cookies are free of refined sugar, dairy, cholesterol, eggs, hydrogenated oils and trans fat...and many of them are wheat and gluten free. So...you ask...what is in these cookies? Well, plenty of fruit juice, oat flour, vanilla and even chocolate!

The cookies were delicious, and perfect as a healthy alternative to other cookies and bars on the market. And, they are individually packaged, so they can be easily slipped into your child's lunch.

Meet Miriam, the Mama behind Nana's Cookie Company!

How long have you lived here?
I have been a Solana Beach resident for 15.5 Years.

Why did you start your business?
My oldest son was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. I began to look for avenues that could give him more energy and boost his immune system, which led me to macrobiotics. This research introduced me to food for better living and then to run a natural foods co-op. From there I started baking healthy cookies. When my tennis group kept asking for more cookies, I knew that I had a market for healthy cookies that contain no sugar, dairy, eggs, trans fat and are fruit juice sweetened.

What is your favorite thing about writing running your business?
I enjoy creating and I love coming up with new flavors and concepts for Nana’s Cookie Company. I also enjoy helping. It is very rewarding to get emails from our customers who have been able to continue their healthy pursuits while also satisfying their sweet tooth. We also get a lot of support from customers who have special dietary needs and are big fans of our No Gluten product line.

What is your all-time favorite thing about living in San Diego?
Outdoor living.

Where is your favorite place to eat in San Diego?
Beach Grass Café in Solana Beach.

Where is your favorite place to go with your child/children in San Diego?
Although my youngest son is grown, I enjoy taking walks with him on the beach.

Where is your favorite place to go with your husband or girlfriends?
The Beach for a good walk, to read a book, or just sit in peace.

Any insider San Diego secrets to share?
Cedros Shopping District. Great food, great atmosphere, unique gifts.

No comments: