Thursday, September 25, 2008

You Renewed: Week 3

Week 2 Recap
My favorite parts of the week - eating yummy oatmeal for breakfast each day...it kept me full until lunchtime. And, I loved the 10% of the time I got to indulge and not feel bad about it. Yum!


Week 3

EAT
Week 3 focuses on eating good vs bad fats...meaning monounsaturated and p0lyunsaturated fats vs. saturated and trans fats. Basically good fats lower bad cholesterol and raise the good cholesterol. According to the "You Renewed" booklet "They help to absorb vitamins and minerals;nourish the skin, hair, and nails; promote growth and development; promote nerve
function; help produce hormones; prevent diseases; regulate enzymes and much more." Wow! Lots of benefits. Some good fats include: olive oil, peanuts, almonds, salmon & other fish, and avocados. So, this week, instead of chips for a snack...I think I'll grab a handful of almonds. And, I am going to prepare at least one meal with salmon instead of red meat.

MOVE
This week's Move section focuses on muscle training. I've done aerobic exercise for years...running, aerobics, yoga, pilates, etc. But, I just started lifting weights, and I have so much to learn! If you need a reason to lift weights...check out this quote from the "You Renewed" booklet: Building lean muscle tissue (muscle mass) helps your body to burn more calories. Each extra pound of muscle helps to burn an extra 100 calories daily.

So, I'm sold! I have a set of 5 pound weights and a set of 10 pound weights. My goal this week is to get them out of their cozy spot in the closet and use them! In the past I've used them on and off...but I want to use them at least twice in the next week. If anyone has any tips for good weightlifting work out dvds or websites...please let us know!

THINK
The THINK section this week focuses on mindful eating...actually slowing down and enjoying each meal. As a mom of two young children my breakfast is usually eaten while holding the baby and rinsing out dishes, lunch is eaten in front of my computer while I hurry and answer emails before the kids wake up from their naps, and dinner is eaten in a hurry so I can get the kids off to bed. So, mindful eating is definitely something I need to work on. My goal this week is to eat lunch at my kitchen table instead of at my computer. I think I'll just stare out my window while I eat and enjoy the scenery...then its of and running again. But at least I'll enjoy a few precious quiet moments.

Don't forget to pick up your own copy of the "You Renewed" booklet at your local Henry's Farmers Market...it is fantastic, and was written by Henry's Nutritionist, Janet Little.

No comments: