Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Meet the San Diego Mama Behind...


Marlo is a talented photographer here in San Diego...check out her great portfolio and blog. Though not a mom yet, she is very talented photographing children. She'll be taking pictures of my new baby next week...I'll share the photos with you soon!

Meet Marlo!

How long have you lived here?
I’m a
Southern California native, but I went to school at UCSD for 5 years, then came back to marry my current husband in 2005. We were in La Jolla for 2 years, and now in San Elijo Hills 1 year since last June.

Why did you start your business?
I have always had a great love for the arts even though I studied science and engineering in school. On the side I was always drawing, painting, writing calligraphy, woodworking, creating art pieces, playing the piano, etc. Once I “retired” from biotech, I decided to marry my love of technical geeky gadgets, computers, art, and families/relationships/emotions . . .and voila my photography business was born!

What is your favorite thing about writing running your business?
I love being able to choose my projects and run with them. I love coming up with new, fresh marketing designs and pieces. I love to network with people who are also running their own businesses and help them out. The most satisfying part of running my own business is that I love being able to capture a memory by creating a timeless piece of art for anyone celebrating a milestone in their life or just commemorating a specific time in their lives forever. I love working for people who appreciate my work!

What is your all-time favorite thing about living in San Diego?
Oh the weather by far!! And the beach. And the amazing restaurants. The people. Oh don’t forget the shopping.

Where is your favorite place to eat in San Diego?
Really I must pick only one? I am a huge foodie!! How about this . .

Indian food: Taste of India in Encinitas,
Mexican food: Mr. Taco in
San Marcos, (would love to find more authentic places!)
Thai: Spices in
Del Mar
Filipino food: my mom’s house
Chinese food:
Emerald City in Kearny Mesa
Sushi: Sushi Ota in PB
Ethiopian food: Harar in
San Diego
Ice Cream: Cold Stone
Japanese Shabu-Shabu: Toshi san Sushi in
La Jolla
Salads/Sandwiches: St. Tropez Bakery and Café in Encinitas
Pancakes: The original Pancake house in Encinitas
Italian: Jay’s Gourmet Pizza and Seafood in
Carlsbad
Vietnamese: Pho T Cali in Kearney Mesa
Vegan/Veggie: Mozy’s café in Encinitas
Spanish: Café Sevilla in downtown – although
Costa Brava in PB is now a strong contender!
I know there is more, but this is a good starter list!

Where is your favorite place to go with your child/children in San Diego?
My husband and I are officially trying this year for our first child. I am a happy mom of two beautiful rescue dogs though who are 5 years old. Our favorite places have been Muttropolis in Solana Beach and Coronado dog beach!!

Where is your favorite place to go without your child (with your husband or girlfriends)?
The beach is always a huge favorite whether it be running, walking, reading, eating, sunset viewing or just people watching. Absolutely love driving through many different areas of
San Diego just to explore too!

Any insider San Diego secrets to share? Shopping tips, eating tips, driving tips, etc….
Oh see #5 for all my eating tips! Shopping – that is another long list if anyone is interested! Driving – really can’t share much except avoid Friday rush hour out of the county!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for featuring me Emily! Can't wait for your session :-)