Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Meet the San Diego Mama Behind....


If you're a mama who is looking for a place you can go that both your kids and you will love...check out Java Mama. Relax with a cup of coffee and mingle with other Mamas, while your kids play! Java Mama also offers fun classes for you and your kids, as well as storytimes, Dance Parties, and shopping! Java Mama Alicia definitely knows what San Diego Mamas want!

Meet Alicia!

1. How long have you lived here?
9 years. Wow, time flies.

2. Why did you start your business?
Need. I wanted a place where I could hang-out and work or read and bring my baby girl. I was fine going to coffee shops when she was a newborn, but the minute she was mobile it was really hard to take her anywhere. I would get dirty looks if she made a noise and I couldn’t put her down to crawl. So, I started dreaming of a place that was child-friendly but still had the feeling of an adult hang-out.

3. What is your favorite thing about running your business?
The flexibility of my hours and being able to bring my kids to work. Also, I meet amazing people everyday.

4. What is your all-time favorite thing about living in San Diego?
It would have to be the weather. When I go back East, I appreciate the rain and the snow for a couple of days but I am always glad to return to our sunny, temperate weather.

5. Where is your favorite place to eat in San Diego?
I’m a vegetarian and LOVE Sipz CafĂ© in Clairemont Mesa. They have every imaginable Asian dish and it’s all vegetarian. For fancy dinners or celebrations, my absolute favorite is Jake’s in Del Mar.

6. Where is your favorite place to go with your child/children in San Diego?
I love bringing my kids to the beach, especially dog beach in Ocean Beach. We all have a great time and return home tired and sandy. There is so much to do in San Diego, but one of the problems with owning your own business, is you really need to make time to enjoy them.

7. Where is your favorite place to go without your child (with your husband or girlfriends)?
I have lots of favorites, but my newest one is Wine Steals in Point Loma. It’s a perfect date place with lots of fantastic wine and yummy food.

8. Any insider San Diego secrets to share?
Shopping tips, eating tips, driving tips, etc…
I used to commute from the SDSU area to La Jolla and hated that. My tip for driving is to avoid 805 North and take the 5. My fun tip is to try The Turf Club in Golden Hill. It’s another great date or friend’s night out place where you grill your own steak (or veggie kabobs). On certain nights they have a piano player. Very fun!

No comments: